Surrendering a Pet to Wags & Whiskers
Surrendering a pet is never an easy decision and Wags & Whiskers recognizes there are situations in which rehoming an animal is necessary. As such, we are happy to help with owner surrenders where we can.
If the pet you are surrendering is a dog, our training team will be in touch to set up a temperament test to evaluate if the dog is a good fit for any of our foster homes.
PLEASE NOTE: Temperament tests happen in South Minneapolis. Owners must be willing to drive to meet our volunteer at this location.
Owner Surrender Process:
- Fill out the surrender application
- Our coordinators will review your application
- If your application is accepted, we will request a copy of current vet records, if available, and a current photo
- If the pet you are surrendering is a dog, our training team will be in touch to set up a temperament test to evaluate if the dog is a good fit for any of our foster homes
- Your animal will be networked to our fosters
- Once a foster home is found, we will have you sign a surrender agreement relinquishing legal ownership to the rescue and pay a $50 surrender fee
Requirements for Owner Surrenders:
Wags & Whiskers is a foster based rescue without a physical shelter. The ability to place your animal in rescue is dependent on having an open foster home and the animal having a temperament that would qualify them as adoptable. In general, we will not be able to accommodate the following:
- Surrenders that need to happen urgently (less than a week)
- Animals with aggression to other animals that requires they be the only pet in the home
- Animals with significant reactivity or guarding behaviors
- Animals with severe separation anxiety
- Cats with litter box issues
- Animals that have been declared dangerous or potentially dangerous in any city
- Animals with multiple bite history