The Adoption Process
Thank you for making the important decision to adopt! Wags & Whiskers recognizes that the decision to adopt can be a time-consuming and often confusing process so we employ a friendly screening process to ensure a safe and successful adoption. Our investment in your new pet starts with our veterinarians and trained staff taking reasonable care to screen all of our adoptable animals for behavior and medical health issues prior to adoption*. Through the foster home environment (FOSTER CARE) our rescue provides, our volunteer staff try to ascertain the personalities of all of our adoptable animals to help us match the perfect animal with the perfect home.
Areas we serve are Minneapolis, St. Paul, and surrounding Metro (60 mile radius), also within a 30 mile radius of Duluth, Rochester, and Mankato.
Rest assured that all of our adoptable animals receive the following medical care prior to adoption*:
- Health screening and veterinary examination
- Distemper combination vaccinations
- Rabies vaccination
- Microchip and registration
- For Dogs: Heartworm test and preventative medication
- For Cats: Feline leukemia test
- Flea, tick and mite treatment
- Deworming for intestinal parasites
The adoption process typically takes about a week, and we will ask you to provide certain information, such as:
- Proof of Age: All adopters must be 18 years of age or older
- Picture ID: All adopters must have a valid, picture ID with current address information(Student IDs will not be accepted)
- Completed Application and interview with adoption personnel:
a) Our volunteer staff will have a brief conversation with you to determine your needs and preferences, find out about your daily schedule, and talk about your previous experience with pets.
b) If applicable, our volunteer staff will call your veterinarian to ensure that previous pets have been spayed/neutered, vaccinated, and well cared for.
c) For renters, our volunteer staff will check with your landlord to ensure that animals are permitted in your home and that the adoptive animal(s) will not violate any size, breed and/or number of animal restrictions.
- Home Visit: Our volunteer staff will visit your home to observe the environment where your new pet will live and answer any and all of your questions. This is a great opportunity to get valuable input on how to integrate your new pet into your home.
If you are interested in adopting any of the animals within Wags & Whiskers, the first step in this process is filling out an Adoption Application, under the FORMS menu above. For general questions about the adoption process, email us below.
*This is no guarantee of future health after the adoptive animal has left Wags & Whiskers. It is the responsibility of adopters to provide all future medical care.