Fostering is invaluable to the continuation of our Rescue. Wags & Whiskers will provide veterinary care and basic necessities for your foster animal. Understand that this is a commitment to a living animal; those that are rescued in “less than perfect” condition will require effort on your part to help them become happy, healthy, adoptable animals. We depend on you to provide that love and attention!
Wags & Whiskers does not have a shelter; 100% reliance is placed on our foster homes to provide housing while our animals are within our Rescue. A commitment to become a foster parent must be a commitment from intake through adoption, which can be anywhere from a few days to a few months.
The role of a foster parent includes, but is not limited to:
- Helping to reintroduce your foster animal to a home environment by giving him/her some basic training in socialization, exercise, and lots of love.
- Bringing your foster animal to veterinary appointments as needed. Must be willing to go to one of our vetting partners located through the Twin Cities metro area.
- Attending at least one adoption day a month.
- Writing and submitting a short bio, along with a minimum of 5 photos, within 5-7 days of receiving a foster animal, which will be used in listing the animal for adoption. You will need reliable access to a smart phone/digital camera/computer to do this. Bios need to include to following information:
> Name and Rescue ID of the animal (provided by Rescue staff)
> Temperament description of the foster animal:
> Is he/she good with dogs, cats, children (if known)
> Is he/she house-trained, litter box trained, crate trained
> Personality traits
> Bios and photos should be updated for changes in temperament and appearance. This is especially important for very young animals.
- Submitting short updates to your foster coordinator indicating how your foster animal is doing.
- Picking up food/medication at designated meeting time and place.
- Contacting approved adopters within 48 hours, via phone or email, after receiving notification that an application has been submitted for the foster animal to arrange a meet and greet.
- Conducting the meet and greet with approved adopters. This can take place at your home, adoption events, or any other mutually-agreeable location.
If you are interested in fostering, please fill out a foster application. If you have further questions on becoming a foster parent, please send an email to Foster4wags@gmail.com, and an experienced foster parent will answer all your questions.